Four spurn NBA draft to deliver title

Immediately after Tyler Hansbrough, Ty Lawson, Danny Green and Wayne Ellington announced their return in May, the expectations began.

Media members wondered if this edition of North Carolina basketball would ever lose. Fans wondered if the team would be the best in school history. And after UNC started the 2009 season with a 13-0 record, it seemed like the Tar Heels might just verify such thoughts.

But then came a startling loss to Boston College. It was followed with another — this time to Wake Forest. Shock set in. No one could quite believe that North Carolina had a 0-2 conference record.

Slowly, though, that changed. UNC won three ACC contests in a row and then came one of the year’s signature moments.

With the Tar Heels tied at 77 apiece with Florida State, Lawson made a running three-pointer at the buzzer to beat the Seminoles.

The whole North Carolina team embraced the junior for his dramatic heroics. It wouldn’t be the last time.

After the FSU win, the Tar Heels continued their hot streak with nine out of 10 ACC victories. One of those came at Cameron Indoor Stadium — marking the UNC seniors’ fourth win at Duke.

Still, shortly before beating the Blue Devils a second time — this time in Chapel Hill — disaster struck. Lawson injured his toe during practice. It wasn’t considered serious, but the injury didn’t stop nagging him.

When the ACC Tournament began soon after, Lawson didn’t play. The Tar Heels escaped with a win against Virginia Tech but were not so fortunate the following game against Florida State.

UNC had looked extremely vulnerable in its game with FSU, even for such a highly ranked team. Without Lawson, the Tar Heels lacked a true floor general, and everyone knew it.

Preceding the start of the NCAA Tournament, almost every UNC player was asked on the status of Lawson. For many, including Hansbrough, the questions became a source of amusement.

In the Sweet 16, Lawson did return. North Carolina would be playing an athletic LSU squad, and the Tar Heels’ point guard would sorely be needed to break any potential backcourt pressure.

For 31 minutes, Lawson took the floor. He tossed three shots from downtown and made two of them. He passed for six assists. And he racked up 23 points.

At points throughout the game, Lawson was visibly in agony. He’d sit on the bench and clench a towel in his teeth. He’d limp. But he made sure UNC won. It wouldn’t be the last time.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.