The column “You can do good, without Nobel” (Oct. 12) is abhorrent. In essence, it praises demagogues and megalomaniacs and consoles us in our averageness for not achieving their greatness. Mr. Watson’s “illustrious” Nobel laureates are all powerful men. They do not go to bed at night unhappy. Rulers go to bed giddy with insatiate greed and lust for power. Stop treating them like saints or martyrs. No one forced them to seize the reigns of the state.

Barack Obama has neither the authority nor the ability to enact the miracles Mr. Watson asks of him. Further, surrendering to the government the power necessary to make the attempt would subject us to oppression, strife and violence. That is the nature of government.

Are we so impotent that we should pray as though to pagan gods, slaughtering lambs on an altar before the White House whilst supplicating before Barack Obama in the hope that our Omnipotent State will deliver us from the tribulations of existence? No, we will save the world ourselves.

Let us not forget what government really is: A gang of avaricious lawyers and bureaucrats who turn to politics because their only marketable skill is controlling people.

We are not “average” simply because we have no aspirations to fame and power. The peaceful cooperative efforts of free people — not the strong arm of the state — embody the dignity and majesty of humanity. Let us praise ourselves and not these demagogues.

William McLeon Harris

Junior

History, Political Science