The town of Chapel Hill should permit urban archers to control the deer population in and around Chapel Hill. It is clear to anyone who drives down Interstate 40 that the deer population in the Triangle area has gotten out of control.

The deer in these areas are poorly nourished and the quality of their life is diminished with their growing numbers. More deer means less food for each deer and less area to flourish and survive. As the rut sets in — the time in which male deer start to chase and breed with female deer — there will be more fights between competing males due to the sheer quantity of deer in the area.

The easiest and most efficient way to control the deer population will be to allow certain professional hunters to transfer their skills into an urban area. Many hunters have years of experience in archery and the idea that arrows will be flying through windows is absolutely ridiculous.

While many have suggested that deer birth control might be a viable solution, I don’t see how that will be sufficient. In truth, implementing effective birth control methods is highly complicated and time consuming.

Brandon Blalock
Junior
Philosophy