I am disgusted with all the negativity toward President Obama.

I have always considered myself proud to be an American despite my differences with some of our political leaders.

When President George H. Bush lied and said, “No new taxes,” I wasn’t upset. I expect politicians to lie. But, when I hear lies about our president, I see red.

Rush Limbaugh is spreading lies. Rep. Joe Wilson (R-S.C.) is spreading lies. What bothers me the most is the American people believe these lies.

I think they want to find fault in our president. People are looking for any excuse to hurl accusations at Barack Obama.

President Obama wants to provide health care for Americans who cannot afford it. People call him a socialist. People say he isn’t tough. Most recently, President Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize for his actions prior to his presidency. People call him a fraud.

I have never really trusted politicians. But I see a man who is not afraid to shake things up and make a stand for what he believes is right.

Why can’t other people see that? I think it is because they are afraid. They are afraid of a black president. They are afraid of change. And mostly, they are afraid of being wrong.

Wake up, America!

This is really happening.

You can fight it and deny it for the next four to eight years, but it is not going to go away.

There is a change in the air. President Obama is merely the voice of Americans who are ready for that change. Stop listening to all the lies and leave the man alone.

Kent Purser
Junior
Social Work
Western Carolina University