Ponder to test UNC defense

UNC junior Johnny White (34) and the Tar Heel defense face a tall order in Florida State’s Christian Ponder. DTH File/Phong Dinh

In Thursday night’s matchup between North Carolina and Florida State, something’s got to give.

North Carolina has the worst offense in the ACC, while at the same time boasting the best scoring defense in the conference.

Florida State has the best offense in the ACC, but the Seminole defense has given up more yards than any other team in the conference.

That’s a tongue-twister, but it also exemplifies the conflict between the Tar Heels and FSU.

The stingiest defense in the conference, UNC will be tested by the ACC’s leading passer in Christian Ponder.

Ponder leads the ACC with almost 300 passing yards per game and has nine touchdowns to his name already.

Even more importantly, Ponder has thrown only one interception on the season.

“He’s very accurate throwing the football,” Davis said of the opposing signal caller. “And he’s got an awful lot of poise. He’s got a real presence out there that he clearly knows what he wants to try to do.”

But North Carolina has defended the pass exceptionally well all season. The Tar Heels have allowed just one passing touchdown and 125.2 passing yards per game.

And while UNC has struggled to convert turnovers for most of the season, the Tar Heels have yet to face a pass-first team like FSU.

That could play into the hands of North Carolina’s experienced secondary. Last season against Jimmy Clausen and Notre Dame, the Tar Heels gave up 383 yards and two touchdowns — but sacked Clausen four times, picked him off twice and held on for the win, 29-24.

It’s also important to note that in that game, against a high-powered Notre Dame offense, UNC fielded a backup quarterback in Cam Sexton and an offense that had struggled to gain traction as a running game — similar problems to 2009.

As far as the present offensive squad goes, Davis said his squad is finally rounding into shape after struggling to put up points and keep players healthy.

It will help that tackle Kyle Jolly and other members of the battered offensive line have had an off week to recuperate.

“If you’re going three-and-out, turning the ball over, you don’t have a chance to experiment, and get out there and find a play that works and get a chance to run it again,” Davis said. “Consistency and continuity are things that we’ve talked an awful lot about on offense.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.