SpoSat: Cavaliers look to turn around historic losing streak

TV/Radio: TV coverage will be on Raycom. Radio coverage will be provided by WCHL 1360 AM, WRDU 106.1.

When it comes to the Cavaliers, history has been unkind to the Tar Heels.

Most recently, UNC suffered a 16-13 overtime loss in Charlottesville after leading 10-3 with 2:18 remaining in regulation.

It marked North Carolina’s 14th straight loss at Scott Stadium and its ninth loss in its last eleven matchups against the Cavaliers.

But unfortunately for UVa., the present remains cruel.

Virginia (0-3) is one of six teams still seeking its first win of the season, and it is the only winless team in the ACC. 

A loss against UNC would contribute to an eight-game skid, which is UVa’s longest since the Cavaliers dropped the final three games of the 1981 season under Dick Bestwick, then the first five games of the George Welsh era. 

Coach Al Groh’s job security appears to remain under harsh scrutiny unless the Cavaliers can turn around its fortunes.  

UVa. opened its season with a 26-14 loss against FCS opponent William and Mary — its first loss to a lower-division team in 23 years. 

During the game, Jameel Sewell, Marc Verica and Vic Hall all spent time in the pocket during a bevy of quarterback substitutions implemented throughout the game.

Sewell became a starter in the team’s subsequent losses against then-No. 16 TCU and Southern Mississippi.

In three games, Sewell has completed 41 of 81 attempts for 512 yards, four touchdowns and five interceptions.

As an offense, the Cavaliers rank last in the conference in scoring offense, rushing offense and total offense.

After the losses of the three of the team’s primary receivers — Maurice Covington, Cary Koch and Kevin Ogletree­ — the Cavaliers have struggled to solidify its receiving corps.

All four receivers on the depth chart are underclassmen, and five Cavalier freshman have recorded catches.

Last season, Groh’s team rebounded from its misfortunes to go undefeated in the month of October, including its last minute victory over the Tar Heels.

North Carolina will look to rebound from its own disappointing 24-7 loss against Georgia Tech, and prevent history from repeating itself.