In a letter to the editor, “Abortion not only morally contentious issue funded,” (Nov. 18), Kimberly Stein claims that I ignored the fact that taxpayers are forced to fund things they find morally wrong.

She uses the example of war. She neglected the fact that I said the minority is forced to fund something that has no bearing on it. A war is an entirely different issue. War threatens a nation as a whole and thus pertains to each individual. Abortion, since it does not threaten the populace as a whole, does not necessarily pertain to each individual. Therefore, since it does not pertain to me, I should not be forced to fund it.

Secondly, Stein argues that I ignored the fact that the government subsidizes legal council. What she does not mention is that this subsidization does not occur until after a Supreme Court decision (which she mentions in her letter) to provide this service.

The Supreme Court has never decided a case granting women the right to free abortions paid for by the taxpayers. Nor has the Supreme Court ruled that an abortion is “so intrinsic to human rights” that it must be paid for by taxpayers. Until a decision like this is made, the fact remains that abortion should not be funded by the government but by the individual who desires to have an abortion.

Kristian Doty
Sophomore
Political Science, Economics