Criticism of Homecoming concert is very unfounded

It’s a shame Jordan Lawrence disagrees with CUAB’s choice of bringing Fabolous to campus for this year’s homecoming (“Homecoming acts will underwhelm,” Nov. 2). It’s a bigger shame he’s too consumed with the idea of “deserving” a better concert to see just how misguided his own views are.

It’s a shame that Fabolous doesn’t have near the wide-spread appeal as an act as famous as the Avett Brothers. Sure, Fabolous’ recent album was No. 1 on the Billboard 200 and he’s released a steady stream of hits over the past decade, but the Avett brothers just signed a record deal!

And it’s a tragedy that Anoop Desai, a former contestant on America’s most popular TV show and America’s sweetheart last season, is choosing to perform for his alma mater, especially considering that we could have seen Kanye West. Oh wait, sorry, Kid Cudi. No, I don’t know who that is.

Yes, it is indeed unfortunate. After all, based on Lawrence’s statements we can assume he’s better at football than most members of the team, who certainly did deliver an “underwhelming” performance Thursday night at Virginia Tech.

So, all calamities aside, let me be perfectly clear: We at UNC are lucky. Sure, our student fees may not bring in as famous of acts as Duke, but we are also paying significantly less.

And as terrible as having a popular rapper, an American Idol contestant, and a winning football team on campus must be for Jordan Lawrence, consider the alternative: not having any of those.

Jay Morgan
Freshman
Physics