Drew, Heels in attack mode

Sophomore Larry Drew II dished out six assists in UNC’s 88-72 win against FIU. DTH/Phong Dinh

After a Florida International basket in the first half Monday night, the Golden Panthers jogged back down the court a little too casually.

Before they could turn around, North Carolina’s point guard had knifed through them for a coast-to-coast layup.

The play is old hat for Tar Heel fans — what was new was the party involved: Larry Drew II.

Aside from that play, though, it wasn’t Drew’s night to do his best Ty Lawson impression. Monday night was his chance to turn the page and establish himself as the Tar Heels’ new floor general.

“I felt really comfortable out there running the show tonight,” Drew said.

He looked it.

The most telling statistic for any point guard is the assist-to-turnover ratio. And in his first game as UNC’s top option at the spot, he compiled six assists to only two turnovers.

“You look down there, and Larry has six assists and two turnovers,” coach Roy Williams said. “You’d like that to be every game. We’d take that.”

Drew’s six assists were double that of any other Tar Heel, and his limited turnovers stood out in a stat sheet filled with 26 UNC mishaps.

Drew piled up the total largely by penetrating into the lane and then dishing to any number of waiting UNC forwards.

He wasn’t entirely passive though. Drew also dropped in seven points on 3-for-6 shooting, including a 3-pointer during the first half.

Drew said he’s always been a pass-first point guard, but his father, who was a point guard in the NBA, told him this summer not to forget about his shot.

“My pops, he’s always said, if you stay in attack mode — we call it attack mode — looking at the rim, looking to score, then that will just make you that much more effective,” Drew said. “Because he says, ‘You’re going to get your assists, you just need to get your point total up.’”

Taking care of the basketball was an issue for Drew last season, when he had trouble securing the ball as a freshman. His play will remain one of UNC’s important question marks in the team’s title defense.

As demonstrated when Drew got into a bit of foul trouble early in the second half, he won’t be UNC’s only point guard.

Marcus Ginyard also played at the point against FIU, and freshman Dexter Strickland logged minutes at the one as well. Ginyard’s size could allow UNC to exploit matchups with a huge lineup, and Strickland’s explosiveness will be a factor.

Those two combined for eight turnovers Monday night — five by Strickland in his first collegiate appearance.

From the reactions of Drew’s coach and teammates, he is the guy for now. Although, based on his own reaction, there is still room for improvement.

“I can play way better than this,” Drew said. “I would give myself probably a C if I had to grade myself. I know I can play better than I played tonight.”

But his assist-to-turnover ratio was a loud statement, and it will be his offense to run.

“I think everybody trusts him,” UNC forward Deon Thompson said. “We’re going to have to. Larry Drew is our point guard.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.