As someone who doesn’t typically vote in Homecoming elections, after reading the article “Ellis supports mental health” (Nov. 2nd), I felt compelled to support her campaign.

Being an elementary education major, I am familiar with the Chapel Hill-Carrboro School system and its underdeveloped programs for children with special needs.

Students from kindergarten through 12th grade are not accustomed to interacting with such a population and the resulting prejudice and mistreatment of the mainstreamed exceptional- children students is disheartening. Having an older sister who is physically and intellectually disabled, I can identify with Ellis’ platform and support her claim that a program such as the one she proposed is desperately needed in our community.

Ever since kindergarten, I’ve had to deal with an unwanted awkwardness, not to mention inappropriate stares, upon introducing my sister to my friends and community. Ellis’ concept of presentations for high school students is a fantastic way to not only expose and familiarize them to such a great part of the community, but also to prevent future avoidance and neglect to all disabled members of our society for generations to come.

Ellen Haver
Junior
Elementary Education