Five All-ACC selections lead UNC

Tar Heels prove worth in ACCs

CARY — North Carolina’s 3-0 victory against Maryland was not just its first match in the ACC Tournament. Wednesday night also marked the first game played after five Tar Heels were selected to the All-ACC teams.

The honorary team included defender Whitney Engen, goalkeeper Ashlyn Harris, and midfielder Tobin Heath on the first team Tuesday, with Engen being named the conference’s defensive player of the year. Midfielder Ali Hawkins and forward Jessica McDonald were named second-team All-ACC.

Despite Engen being the first Tar Heel to be named the defensive player of the year, she found little in the award following the game.

“For me being named defensive MVP of the ACC, I think it’s a great honor,” Engen said.

“That’s just a title. You’re only as good as your last game.”

Engen anchors a defense that allowed only 10 goals in 19 games, including 12 shutouts. Goalkeeper Harris did not have to add to her 33 saves on the season during the match as Engen and the Tar Heel defense allowed only one shot by the Terrapins.

“Kristi (Eveland), Rachel (Givan) and Ashlyn behind me, they have done a phenomenal job this year in supporting me,” Engen said. “I mess up and they’re right there, so they make me look good.”

Heath, who has been named to the first team all-ACC list for a third time, scored UNC’s first goal in the 15th minute. The goal was the senior midfielder’s fourth of the season — slightly off the pace of last year when she finished with eight.

“It’s great,” Heath said of the selection. “It doesn’t really mean that much to me because all I care about is winning the ACC Championship and NCAA Championship.”

McDonald earned her first All-ACC selection with second-team honors. McDonald logged seven shots and three shots on goal as well as an assist against Maryland.

What the statistics won’t show is her hand in UNC’s second goal.

In the 56th minute, Maryland helped UNC win a goal to put the Tar Heels up 2-0. It came after Terrapin defenders realized McDonald loomed in the goalie box following the off-the-post miss by Maria Lubrano.

In an attempt to avoid an easy put-back by McDonald, three Maryland defenders huddled around the ball.

But lacking communication, the red jerseys found their own net.

Junior midfielder Hawkins sat out with an injury and will likely not return until NCAA Tournament play begins next week.

Noticeably absent from the list is reigning national player of the year Casey Nogueira. Nogueira posted 25 goals last year but only six in 2009. Wednesday night, the senior forward recorded her sixth assist of the season.

“You could be given national player of the year last year and then you can come in here and not even make an ACC team,” Engen said. “It’s just a title.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.