Linebacker shuffles build depth

Many words could be used to describe North Carolina’s linebackers. But Kennedy Tinsley’s choice word came as a surprise.

“Monday and Tuesday, we look ugly,” he said.

Early in the week, the linebackers look far from the polished product exhibited on game day.

That’s because linebackers coach Art Kaufman has been implementing multiple shifts within the unit.

“We are trying rotate guys around,” coach Butch Davis said. “It keeps guys fresh and gets other guys some playing experience.”

The first shift came against Florida State, when middle linebacker Quan Sturdivant returned to his old position at weak side.

Since then, freshman Kevin Reddick has recorded his first two starts at middle linebacker, where he has recorded 10 tackles and split time with Tinsley.

But none expects to stay too comfortable.

“We try to have guys play multiple positions,” Kaufman said. “Any time you can bring more talent to the table, you give yourselves chances to make more plays.”

Sturdivant knew the temporary shift would not prove problematic  though it would pose differences. The junior garnered a wealth of experience and a nation-leading 87 unassisted tackles at outside linebacker in 2008.

“Inside, you want to stop the run between the tackles,” he said. “Outside, you need the speed to catch the ball and guard the end.”

As a result, outside linebackers have the responsibility of covering more ground, while middle linebackers watch the field and see the play develop.

“We can put a lot of backs on special teams,” he said. “We can put them everywhere, and everyone knows how to play.”

UNC is also no stranger to injuries.

Now if a linebacker gets hurt, Kaufman knows his backup will be no stranger to the position, either.

“What we want to know is, if the next guy goes in, what’s he going to be able to do?” he said. “I know he’ll be able to play.”

But the shifts have not simply provided insurance. They have allowed for strategic grouping.

“When we want substitution defenses, we have specific roles where we want certain body types and athletic types,” Kaufman said.

Against Virginia Tech, Kaufman anticipated a physical team. So he called upon Tinsley, who provides more power than speed.

“The big thing we try to do is get guys in the game in situations that fit them,” he said.

Sturdivant said that the unit’s versatility has provided more depth and better plays on the field.

“Last year we played so many snaps we never got a break,” he said. “Now we get breathers so it helps us stay fresh throughout every game.”

Tinsley said the linebackers feel prepared for any mix of players called upon to take the field.

The epiphany came with a word more often associated with the unit.

“Now I know,” he said. “By Saturday, we look good.”