In The Daily Tar Heel’s Nov. 19 issue, the editorial cartoon by Mark Viser illustrates not only his own insecurity with viewing a nude human body but also his lack of respect for artists in general.

It’s an assumption, albeit a safe one, to read this cartoon as his own scared and embarrassed face having to stare at the nude front of a male model posing proudly on a podium for an art class.

Did the cartoonist even read the article?

Nude models aren’t some narcissistic people who can’t wait to strike their most dashing pose.

They’re regular people who are comfortable with their bodies, unlike one artist in question.

It’s also ironic that a cartoonist would show an artist that was embarrassed to practice his craft.

As professor Dennis Zaborowski echoed in the article, (“Nude models pose for art students,” Nov. 11) the human body is an amazing tool for artists to practice drawing forms and shapes.

I’d be surprised if any sensible and secure artist disagreed with the idea that drawing a naked human body is not only extremely useful … but frankly not a big deal.

I’m also still a little curious why Viser clumped this Life Drawing topic under the umbrella of “Studio Art 101.”

A little snide shot at people who are comfortable with studying art instead of hiding behind an uncreative cartoon?

Jon Haas
Chapel Hill