Please join the class of 2010 on Dec. 3 in a toast to local agriculture and local microfinance at the “Soiree Under the Stars” — a benefit local wine tasting — at the venerable Morehead Planetarium.

Attend “Soiree Under the Stars” and sample the produce of North Carolina’s finest wineries, including Grove, Biltmore, Duplin and Benjamin.

While there, you will also enjoy jazz performed by Chancellor Holden Thorp’s band, Equinox, and supporting student-run initiatives to combat local homelessness and poverty.

“Soiree Under the Stars” benefits two programs — the Community Empowerment Fund (CEF) and the Senior Marshals’ homelessness committee.

CEF is a student-run organization that offers small loans, savings opportunities, financial services, and assertive support to individuals experiencing or at-risk of experiencing homelessness.

Pairing members of our community with student volunteers, CEF motivates participants to build personal assets, gain higher income, engage in a healthy community and plan for the future.

The proceeds from this event will also work to fund events organized by the Senior Marshals homelessness committee, including an initiative in the spring aimed at connecting the homeless and at-risk population with access to opportunities for greater employment, self-advancement and education.

So don’t wait — get your tickets early!

Considering the brilliance of all of the wines, the quality of the music, the splendor of the Planetarium, the caliber of the company and the incredible significance of this extremely worthy cause, this soiree is expected to sell out.

Buy tickets ($10 for students and $15 for faculty and community members) in the Pit Monday through Thursday, or e-mail TheCEF@gmail.com to make a reservation.

Maggie West
Ashley Harrington
Co-Chairwomen,
Senior Marshals Homelessness Committee