The ’Turn the Town Pink’ event was a big success

On behalf of cancer patients and the UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, a huge thank you goes to Chapel Hill and Carrboro for the outstanding community effort to “Turn the Town Pink”.

In an amazing first-time effort, more than 60 community partners “Turned the Town Pink” by decorating their place of business or Web site in pink. Some merchants participated with in-store campaigns, others sold specialty items and others donated food, drink and auction items in support of UNC Lineberger’s “Tickled Pink” and “Tickled Pink Twilight” events.

From retail stores to restaurants, radio stations to real estate offices, local newspapers to auto dealerships — these outstanding community partners stepped up to contribute to patient and family support programs at UNC Lineberger and the N.C. Cancer Hospital.

People who have been touched by cancer can tell you that these programs are a source of compassion, information and needed therapies for those facing a cancer diagnosis and treatment. Many are offered to patients free of charge, relieving anxiety at an already stressful time.

What a thrill it was to see Chapel Hill and Carrboro community partners come out in support of programs that truly make a difference to cancer patients every day — making the first year of “Turn the Town Pink” a resounding success. Thank you to everyone who participated.

H. Shelton Earp
Director
UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center