Trustees to decide on tuition today

Board of Trustees next step in tuition increase decisions

A Board of Trustees committee approved Wednesday a 5.2 percent recommended tuition increase for all undergraduate students, saying that while it might not be the best option in the long run, it is the best option for now.

The proposal goes before the full board today, the last time campus officials will consider it before they send it to UNC-system President Erskine Bowles.

The committee approved Chancellor Holden Thorp’s proposal for equal percentage tuition increases for both in-state and out-of-state students, a principle that wasn’t always a sure thing.

The proposal would increase resident tuition by $200, as mandated by the state legislature. For non-residents, undergraduate tuition would increase by $1,127, and graduate tuition would go up $732.

The committee voted unanimously to pass the proposal, voicing support for families struggling to pay tuition in difficult times and a commitment to equal percentages for all students.

But some members raised concerns about the effect of lower tuition on the quality of education in the long run.

“I’m going to support what Holden wants to do because it’s what Holden wants to do,” said trustee and committee member John Ellison. “But I’m really concerned about the future of the University and reputation of this University.”

Approximately 15 students came to the meeting and protested the tuition increase, arguing with Student Body President Jasmin Jones and Vice President David Bevevino after the meeting that the process lacked transparency and student input.

The students tried to speak at the committee, but since they were not on the meeting’s speaking agenda, Thorp asked them to wait and request permission to speak to the full board today, which they plan to try.

Ellison said he understood why members would vote for a lower increase this year but said he felt compelled to communicate the long-term impact of the decision to others.

“We’ve now had three years of a difficult financial situation. It goes in cycles, but it doesn’t seem to be going away right now,” said Ellison. “And we have some new members on the board who don’t understand growth, and I’m trying to imprint on them the gravity of this situation. This is definitely going to be coming up again next year.”

Officials have voiced concern about UNC’s ability to meet financial needs with a 5.2 percent increase.

“We could be getting ourselves into trouble here,” said Bruce Carney, interim executive vice chancellor and provost and co-chairman of the tuition and fee advisory task force.

Tuition increase proposals originate with the task force, which advocated most strongly a 6.5 percent increase for all students to Thorp. The group also recommeded a 5.2 percent increase for undergraduates and a 3.7 percent increase for graduates, though expressed hesitation that the lower percent increase would not meet the University’s needs.