A faltering economy on top of several years of outsourced jobs has made western North Carolina one of the regions hardest hit by the national recession.

Textile and furniture companies, formerly a major source of income for the region, have crumbled under competitive pressure from multinational corporations, which can offer goods at lower prices.

Many of the region’s manufacturing operations have shut down or moved to other countries, leaving hundreds in western North Carolina without jobs.

In response, many are turning to the area’s community colleges to learn new skills and trades, making them viable for new jobs.

The schools have seen elevated enrollment rates, and some are sending instructors to different companies for on-site training opportunities, said N.C. Rep. Ray Warren, D-Alexander, one of the counties hit hard.

McDowell County was once one of the highest manufacturing bases in the state, said Michael Lavender, director of external relations at McDowell Technical Community College.

But as of September, the county’s unemployment rate was 14.1 percent, he said. Between fall 2007 and fall 2009, enrollment at the school increased 36 percent, largely due to the economy.

“It’s good for enrollment, but it’s bad for the people,” Lavender said. “Over the years we’ve lost almost all of our textile and furniture in the area.”

In Alexander County, a tremendous number of jobs have been lost because of foreign competition, Warren said.

“Globalization has created unemployment situations in the district because of the closing of some facilities that are unable to compete with lower prices of China and other countries,” he said.

But companies such as Williams-Sonoma and Apple, which are coming to the region, could help relieve the high unemployment rate. Apple is expected to open a data center, creating more than 2,000 jobs, Warren said.

Henderson County, like most of the region, is facing high unemployment numbers — 8.6 percent in September. Its normal unemployment rate is between 3.5 and 4.5 percent.

The county has been hit the hardest in the real estate market, said Robert Williford, president of the Henderson County Chamber of Commerce.

“There were a lot of jobs in the construction industry that were dependent on houses being sold and being built. That’s really slowed down tremendously,” Williford said.

Local legislators are encouraging citizens to support local markets because it could help relieve the crisis, Williford said.

“We are encouraging citizens to do business with people in the same area. In tough times, everyone has to help their neighbors and do what they can locally,” he said.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.