Mr. van de Horst’s letter (“Myrick’s stance highlights health debate hypocrisy,” Nov. 30) concerning health care reform is incredibly misguided. The representatives’ votes against the current bill do not imply they are not for reform.

The reason for their dissent is found within the bill itself. The current bill has many flaws, which punish those who already have health coverage, and only covers a third of those who the bill is intended for. The bill plans to cut Medicare by $50 billion and put $15 million more on Medicaid. These government programs have proved inefficient and wasteful, as they are almost bankrupt.

What most don’t realize about Medicaid and Medicare are their low reimbursement rates. The average Medicaid reimbursement for a doctor’s visit can be as low as a couple dollars. Health care professionals simply cannot cover their business expenses on this pay, and as a result, raise prices for procedures and visits.

Health insurance companies then must raise premiums to cover the addition price increases. Regarding the unemployed, disabled student: doesn’t he know she’s eligible for Medicaid? Additionally, small businesses would be subjected to many taxes including a $38,000 tax for their current health benefits.

Our nation, and especially North Carolina, is suffering from unemployment, and small businesses always prove to be the means of recovery. Taxing small businesses will force job cuts, exacerbating the unemployment crisis.

We have had this problem for years. We need to get physicians and hospital administrators, not lawyers and politicians, to debate and create a reform that will actually benefit all.

Michael Patrone

Sophomore
Psychology