Mayor-elect to take office

Tension during election has faded

Tonight, Mark Kleinschmidt will inherit a town that almost didn’t vote him into office.

But Kleinschmidt, who will be sworn in at tonight’s Town Council meeting, said any tension created during the campaign has faded and he can now focus on town issues.

“It’s great being able to have this time to take that running start,” he said. “I’m ready to get to work.”

In last month’s Chapel Hill mayoral election, Kleinschmidt won with 48.63 percent of the vote, only 106 more votes than fellow council member Matt Czajkowski, whose campaign attracted much of the town’s business community.

But Kleinscmidt, an eight-year council member who was labeled a “pro-environment” candidate, said his interests include a focus on promoting commercial growth.

“Despite the way the campaign and election worked out, I have very good relations with the business community,” he said.

A group of business-oriented candidates, led by Czajkowski, brought out of the woodwork voters seeking tax reductions and a revitalized downtown.

Gene Pease, the only one of those to be elected, said the business community has moved past the divisive race.

“Mark’s our mayor,” he said. “Boy, if we don’t try to support him, then we’re stupid.”

Kleinschmidt, a criminal defense lawyer, replaces Kevin Foy, who has served as mayor since 2001.

The outgoing mayor endorsed Kleinschmidt four days before the election, cementing the candidate’s image as the embodiment of the liberal Chapel Hill establishment.

Czajkowski, elected to the council in 2007, will remain on the council for two years.

But earning the loyalty of Czajkowski’s supporters could take time, said Penny Rich, who won a council seat with the most overall votes in the election.

“I don’t think it’s going to happen right away,” Rich said. “There are some people who were not very happy that he won.”

Aside from overseeing the growth of Chapel Hill, Kleinschmidt said he will continue to fight for environmental protection and advocate for a regional transportation system.

“The sense of honor and gratefulness that I’ve felt since election night has not dissipated,” he said.

Filling the last council seat

The council’s first priority will be selecting its final member.

Long-time councilman Bill Strom resigned in summer, and due to his timing, his seat was not up for grabs in the election.

Instead, the council must choose between the 12 residents who applied for the seat. The applicants will be formally presented Wednesday and the council plans to fill the seat Dec. 14.

Community members are backing two in particular for the seat: Matt Pohlman, who placed fifth in the election, and Donna Bell, one of two black applicants who can ensure minority representation.