In Rich Ingram’s letter (“Students should not have to subsidize PlayMakers,” Dec. 7), he argues against the mandatory use of the PlayMakers’ privilege cards for students enrolled in a drama course.

PlayMakers is a professional repertory company located on our campus. What better opportunity to enrich the drama education at UNC than by requiring students to experience a play outside of a book?

The privilege card is just like a textbook. It’s not a fee. And considering it is an opportunity to see three live shows, a relatively cheap textbook at that. You don’t have to buy it, and you don’t have to use it. But it’s a creative way for DRAM classes to immerse students in the plays they are studying.

Watching theater is a much different experience than reading it 20 minutes before class. It’s not an inconvenient burden. The Paul Green Theatre is located on campus, and there are multiple opportunities for students to see each play. True, privilege cards are a way to support our local production companies, but they provide an authentic, convenient supplement to our drama education here at UNC. There is a good reason these privilege cards are used.

Philip Curley
Junior
History, Political Science