I attended the Michigan State University game on Tuesday night, and realized what the problems were regarding student attendance. I got Phase 3 tickets, which claimed I could enter the Dean Dome at 7:30 p.m., and I thought I was going to get decent seats.

However, after standing in line from 7:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m., I was finally shuffled up to the nosebleed section along with all but the select few with Phase 1 tickets that could grab the scarce riser or lower level seats.

The reason for low student attendance is that we’re forced to get to the game two hours prior to tip-off, just to sit in terrible seats while the vast majority of the gym (and all the good seats) are empty awaiting the alumni fans who roll in right at tip-off.

For a better student showing, CAA needs to find a way to get students better seats, or at least a way to get decent seats without having to waste two or three hours of their time.

Contrary to Stephen Bloemeke’s letter (“Student attendance at games not that important,” Dec.2), student support for the Tar Heels is very important. Just because you’re not a sports fan and would prefer playing hopscotch at your dorm during a home game doesn’t mean you should bash the fans. Whether you’re a basketball fan or not, school spirit is vital to Carolina, and a better system needs to be put in place.

Joe Kostka
Senior
Business