Bonfire forum discusses alternatives

New celebrations ?nd little support

Bruce Cairns speaks with students, administrators and police officers Wednesday. DTHShar Narne Flowers

Of the two major suggestions proposed Wednesday night to counteract the Franklin Street bonfire tradition, one was actually another bonfire.

The forum, held with the goal of devising an alternative to celebratory bonfires in time for the Feb. 10 game against Duke, was an extension of the ideas that Student Body President Jasmin Jones has advocated this school year.

But the forum received a lukewarm response from students, raising the question of how much support Jones has in her mission to change the celebrations.

The talk attracted representatives from the N.C. Jaycee Burn Center, Carolina Athletic Association, UNC Department of Public Safety, Chapel Hill Police Department and Carolina Fever.

Only four students outside of CAA and student government came to the discussion. Two of them, Monique Hardin and Hogan Medlin, are candidates for student body president. The event had 341 confirmed guests on Facebook.

Students proposed two alternatives to the student-generated bonfires that erupt following important basketball wins. Jones presented an idea to supply the crowds with beach balls and DJs on rooftops. The other was a proposal for a bonfire to be organized by the town.

Jones said things like beach balls and a DJ would occupy students and prevent them from starting fires out of boredom.

“We can have a rave mob like Oprah,” she said.

CAA president John Russell said Jones’ plan could keep students on Franklin Street longer, increasing the possibility for student violence and injury.

His words echoed those of Chapel Hill police Captain Chris Blue, the department’s special events commander, who said the town’s goal was to get Franklin Street back to normal as early as possible after wins.

Hardin asked whether organized fires were a viable option, but Blue said the idea was too dangerous.

“We’re not trying to be sticks in the mud here, but that’s just a reality,” he said.

Blue said the large crowds can be risky, especially for firefighters trying to extinguish the bonfires.

“We have had a couple of occasions where firefighters have been assaulted,” he said.

Bruce Cairns, medical director for the N.C. Jaycee Burn Center, said he was opposed to bonfires of any kind. He pointed to an incident at Texas A&M University in which 12 people died during a bonfire celebration.

“What is it about fire?” he asked.

Sophomore Chase Miller, creator of the 1,335-member Facebook group “Keep Fires on Franklin,” said that the bonfires are “a symbol of camaraderie,” and should be continued.

Junior Mark Warden said he felt safer at the Franklin Street fires than he did at the Davis Library rave.

Jones said she hopes to announce a specific plan in relation to the bonfires in the next two weeks.

Because of the clear support of bonfires expressed through surveys circulated before the event, Student Body Secretary Jonathan Tugman said it will be difficult to change the culture.

“Anything we do is going to be a hard sell,” he said.