Davis Library to extend hours next school year

Davis Library will soon be allowing students to study until 2 a.m. DTH/Margaret Cheatham Williams

Students will be able to spend two more hours a night holed up in Davis Library next school year.

The library will be closing its doors at 2 a.m. instead of midnight during the week, thanks to efforts by student government’s student leadership advisory committee.

The committee began its work by asking 500 students about their late-night study habits in a survey. The results showed that students had fewer options as the night went on.

Anecdotal evidence showed that when Davis closed, students would often go to other places such as the Student Union and the Undergraduate Library, sometimes disturbing students already studying there.

Sophomore Walt Peters, a committee member who worked on the project, said the committee aims to create more late-night study options.

The advisory committee showed the survey results to library administrators, who recognized that more options had to be created.

“The administration was really willing to work with us,” Peters said.

The library has stayed open until 2 a.m. during exam weeks.

Catherine Gerdes, director of planning and administrative services for UNC Libraries, said library use will be monitored to see if students make use of the later hours.

“We’re completely dedicated to try and meet the needs of the campus the best we can,” she said.

The hours extension, which will operate on a pilot basis for the 2010-11 school year, will cost the library $27,000 in staff and security personnel costs because they will have to stay later.

Funding for the extension will come from the University Libraries budget for next year instead of increased student fees. Because the budget for the next school year has not been finalized, it is unclear how the hours extension will affect other services.

“We hope that it is a well-used service,” Gerdes said.

Peters said keeping the library open later will also present students with an opportunity to utilize the SafeWalk buddy system student government announced last semester. Students studying later might increase need for the service.

The SafeWalk program begins today, and provides walking partners for students late at night and covers campus and Greek housing. The program runs Sundays through Thursdays from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m.