Elections leader holds power

Board chairman dictates tone of race

Student government elections process
Student government elections process

Correction (March 30 10:53 pm): Due to a reporting error, the flowchart in this story misstates the number of signatures a student body president candidate needs to appear on the ballot. Each candidate needs 1,000 unique signatures. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error.

The fates of students who have crafted candidacies for student government office rests significantly with the decisions of one person, in addition to the votes of thousands of others on election day.

Charged with organizing a fair election, punishing candidates who violate election law and presenting a public face for the election, the Board of Elections chairman can have a significant impact on the politics and tone of the race.

Recent years have shown that the way this person interprets his or her role and the complex set of rules governing the election can alter the race.

Student government elections meeting:

Today’s mandatory candidates meeting marks the start of the

student government election season, which culminates next month. All students interested in running must attend today’s meeting at 9 p.m. in Student Union, Room 3413. Pete Gillooly, chairman of the Board of Elections, will discuss campaign rules and distribute petitions for the candidates to circulate to get on the ballot. Any student interested in running for the following offices must attend:

-Student body president

-Graduate and Professional Student Federation president

-Carolina Athletic Association president

-Residence Hall Association president

-Student Congress representative

-Senior class officers

“You’re the point person for the entire election,” said Jim Brewer, the 2006-07 chairman. “You’re the person that people look to to hold the entire thing together.”

The chairman is appointed by the student body vice president to conduct the election in accordance with the sometimes complicated Student Code.

“The process of getting them into office needs to be as fair as possible. It is in all of our interest to make sure the Board of Elections can succeed,” said Student Body Vice President David Bevevino, who appointed this year’s chairman, Pete Gillooly.

While the board simply interprets the rules laid out in the Student Code, there’s substantial ambiguity in phrases such as “public campaigning” and “personal basis.”

Chairmen are not bound by precedent, so different chairmen can interpret the same clause differently. Such inconsistency confused candidates last year when they went to gather petition signatures and were not permitted to “dormstorm,” or enter residence halls to collect signatures, as was allowed in previous years.

The chairman has the authority to determine fines when candidates violate election law and can disqualify candidates from the race.

“The BOE chairman can decide what is rule,” said junior Ryan Morgan, the 2008-09 chairman. “So if he wants to just sit back and let the elections happen, he can do that. Or if he wants to institute campaign regulations, and make things more fair, and cut down on the bulls--t, he can do that.”

The Student Code does not fully explain the authority or extent of the job, Brewer said.

“First and foremost, you have the powers and responsibilities that are bestowed upon you in Title VI, but it goes beyond that to what focus you want everybody to have on the election,” he said.

The challenges of the job and public criticism have made it difficult to persuade students to take on the role.

“It’s the most thankless volunteer student job on the campus,” Brewer said. “You’re working behind the scenes only, and you know you’re not going to get any positive press.”