UNC picks ?nalists for provost

Four candidates to contend for a top University position

The University has selected four finalists to contend for the position of executive vice chancellor and provost.

The decision represents an important step forward in selecting an individual to serve as the school’s top academic officer and No. 2 administrator, a post vacated when former Provost Bernadette Gray-Little was named chancellor at the University of Kansas on May 29.

The four candidates hail from other universities and were selected by a 17-member search committee composed of faculty, administrators, a trustee and students.

Shelton Earp, search committee chairman, said approximately 70 candidates applied for the position.

The University paid $72,800, plus expenses, in non-state funds to the search firm R. William Funk & Associates to facilitate the search process.

The candidates will visit Chapel Hill between Jan. 25 and Feb. 5 to interview with the search committee and hold public lectures. Earp said he thinks Chancellor Holden Thorp will make his hiring decision shortly thereafter.

“This is very important to the chancellor,” Earp said. “This is his partner.”

Meet the finalists

Philip Hanlon | University of Michigan: Hanlon has served as vice provost for academic and budgetary affairs at Michigan since 2007.

Anthony Monaco | University of Oxford: Monaco has been pro-vice-chancellor for planning and resources at the University of Oxford since 2007.

Jeffrey Vitter | Texas A&M University: Vitter served as provost and executive vice president for academics at Texas A&M from 2008-09.

Scott Zeger |  Johns Hopkins: Zeger has served as vice provost for research at Johns Hopkins University since 2008.