I was in attendance at the Michigan State men’s basketball game and have attended all of the home football games this year.

I have heard a smattering of boos directed toward T.J. Yates  during the Rams Club commercial, “I am a Tar Heel”. At the Michigan State game, I was fortunate enough to sit in the corner of the lower arena above the players’ tunnel and to the left of the student section. It appeared to me that many of the boos came from the student section behind the basket.

I was personally embarrassed to hear the boos. Yates is a Tar Heel, too, and does not deserve to be booed either by someone who dislikes him or is just trying to be clever. He would tell you that he, too, has been disappointed at times in his performance on the field this year, but I can assure you that he has represented the University with grace and class.

He also happens to be the best quarterback currently enrolled at the University and appears to have the support of his coaches and his teammates. I am proud of the manner in which he has handled himself both on and off the field.

Carolina is a great place, and we have a wonderful athletic program that depends on fan support. Please do your part and refrain from booing the athletes who represent us.

Richard R. Newell
UNC ’72
Wilmington