Achieving consistency key for UNC men's golf after mediocre fall

The North Carolina men’s golf team is looking to have a successful second half of the year after an up-and-down fall semester.

“We did some good things, got into the winner’s circle in the first tournament,” coach John Inman said, “but we had some guys struggle.”

The team started off the season in September by winning the Maryland Intercollegiate as junior Henry Zaytoun III finished the tournament tied for the individual win.

However, the following three tournaments of the fall semester ended with less impressive finishes. The team finished 13th, ninth and sixth in 15 team fields.

The team finished the fall portion of the season with a 31-25 record, compiled of all the teams UNC beat and lost to in the four tournaments. The Tar Heels need at least a .500 record to qualify for an invitation to the NCAA Regionals in May.

UNC is led by Zaytoun III and Jack Fields. After 12 rounds played, only a single stroke separates the top two players. The duo finished the fall with the third and fourth lowest average scores, respectively, out of anyone in the ACC with at least 10 rounds played.

The fall half of the season ended in October, and with the spring season not starting until March, the team will have a long break from tournaments to work on their game.

“It’s a good break for some guys who haven’t been playing as well to get some things in order,” Inman said.

The team has five more tournaments, starting with the Seahawk Intercollegiate in Wilmington on March 1, prior to the ACC Championship at the end of April.

“We’re looking at a schedule we can definitely be successful with,” Fields said.

Zaytoun III said that to succeed, regardless of the schedule, the team must work on its consistency.

Fields said that the team also has to work on their preparation this spring.

“As a team we need to be more focused and more prepared,” Field said. “We got off to rough starts and we need to be prepared the first morning to go out and start getting birdies.”