Recent articles have focused on athletic revenue and spending (“UNC spends to build up football franchise,” Feb. 1 and “Athletics struggles to support large program,” Feb. 2). They encompassed many struggles of maintaining competitive athletic programs, but they are missing key factors.

The “peers” UNC was compared to were universities that are perennial power houses in football, the largest revenue sport, while we are transitioning into a prominent football program.

These universities also have a tremendously larger undergraduate body, thus creating a larger alumni base to spend money. In addition, we are currently ranked above each of these universities in academics. Therefore, they are not exactly peers, as they have different priorities.

Monday’s article detailed the spending on football facilities. These facility upgrades are long term investments for success, not wasteful consumption. Our new facilities will appeal to recruits and create more seats, giving a greater chance for revenue and success.

What makes UNC great and appealing to many students is our balance between academics and student life.

The publicity our athletics programs bring to the university is immeasurable and it enables us to be more competitive academically as athletic success leads to increased applications.

Patrick Spaugh

Sophomore

Political Science, Public Policy