As an engaged volunteer for the Sierra Club’s Coal-Free Campus Campaign here at UNC, I would like to address the scrutiny our campaign has experienced. Many individuals have suggested that our efforts to move UNC away from energy produced by dirty coal are inane and acts of democratic dress-up.

Statements have inaccurately claimed that we are trying to shut down the plant, simply leaving our community and school without both power and heat. Also, focus has been directed toward the high costs a transition to cleaner energy would create.

First of all, we are more than just liberal students waving around posters.

We are educated volunteers who care about our environment, are concerned for our future, recognize the difficulties behind our cause and know that together we can make a positive change.

Please realize that we do not want to close the plant and leave our University without energy. We are, ultimately, working toward being powered by cleaner sources that are available to us; North Carolina does have a lot of wind power potential!

Given time, continued efforts, and yes, a plan for budgeting to fund these efforts, we can make that change. In the long run, a switch to cleaner, renewable energy will save the University money.

Katie Hill
Freshman
Undecided