I am no stranger to gender issues and strongly oppose the negative social impacts that strict gender roles create. Nonetheless, I find the attitude of victimization recently adopted by some UNC women to be deplorable and counterproductive.

The fact is that women are afforded greater access to this University than men. Hearing complaints about how this produces gender inequality by allowing men to behave as the “sexual deviants we are” leaves me baffled. Therefore, I would like to suggest a few proactive solutions to any frustrated Carolina women.

If you are bothered by a lack of male companionship, become friends with more men. If insufficient sexual activity is the problem, masturbate. If you desire both, ask a man on a date (e.g. a male friend with whom you are obviously already compatible) or visit N.C. State, where men find themselves in a similar predicament. If you date someone and he cheats on you, please respect yourself and leave him.

Even though you cannot control his despicable actions, you can decide whether or not you will validate them. If the gender difference continues to bother you, research it and propose possible ways to eliminate it.

If all else fails, convince enough women to leave UNC so that an equal gender ratio can be restored. I assure you that any of these measures will be more productive than complaining.

Joe Milner
Senior
Environmental Science