DTH launches new social networking site for volunteer groups

The Daily Tar Heel has launched a new service, Heels Help, which we hope to serve as a central place for all the many service organizations to come together. Service is a huge part of this community, but there's not a place for groups to share what they're doing and seek help. We're hoping that Heels Help will fill this void.

On Heels Help, you can blog about what you or your organization is working on, post photos or videos, create and promote your events, send updates to Twitter, and interact with others who are giving back. We plan on featuring many of the updates in paper too, bringing even more attention to all that you are doing.

To sign up, all you have to do is go to www.heelshelp.com. Sign up and create a profile — either for yourself or your group — and then you're ready to go.

We're really excited about this project. We think this is something that will really help recognize all the volunteer work going on in the area, and help enhance it by making it easier for groups to find volunteers. We would love for you to be involved.

We're here to help if you have any questions. Starting Friday, we hope to follow up with many of you in person to answer any questions you might have. Otherwise, you can e-mail us, follow us on Twitter, or friend us on Heels Help. As always, we're open to feedback. If there's a feature you think would help the site, we would love to hear about it. We want this to be as useful as possible.