Thursday’s editorial “Slow and Steady” (Feb. 25) attacks the “UNCG in 3” program, suggesting that the principles of a quality education are lost by encouraging people to graduate early.

As a senior graduating in three years, I find it outrageous that someone would suggest that my education is less valuable than their own, simply because they are taking an additional year to graduate. In no way does graduating a year early diminish the experience and the education I have gained from this university.

And despite what “Slow and Steady” suggests, while the extras that come with college are wonderful, the degree is what we come here for. Anyone who graduates early is still taking the same classes and has the same opportunities available to them that any four-year student has. I can say from experience that graduating early does not keep students from having the complete college experience. I have still taken all the liberal arts classes everyone is required to take and have still enjoyed the extracurriculars.

The idea of giving students a way to utilize the college credits they worked hard for in high school is an intelligent one that should be considered by all UNC-system schools. Suggesting that this program is anything other than beneficial is ludicrous.

Samantha Winz
Senior
Psychology