David Joyner’s letter to the editor, “N.C. State fans in risers an affront to real UNC fans,” (Feb. 15) makes a valid point but ignores some basic truths behind the N.C. State University fans being in the risers at the Dean Dome, and does so in the most pretentious manner.

Perhaps those fans are graduate students here who did their undergraduate studies at NCSU.

Most keep their loyalties after they move on to graduate or professional studies, and students who went to State should not have to hide their colors or pretend to be UNC fans, especially when this cross-town rivalry is taking place.

These fans could also be State students who used UNC tickets and IDs to get it, which does say something about the ID checks at the Dean Dome, but still is not an affront to UNC.

Maybe students should actually go to the games. I myself, as well as my 16-year-old sister, used NCSU tickets and IDs to go to the UNC/NCSU football game this year. I zipped my jacket up to my chin and then, when inside, let my Carolina Blue show. NCSU definitely let me hear it as the game ended, but I take it in stride knowing I’d rather be a Tar Heel any day.

Also, Mr. Joyner points out that somehow UNC admission is de facto N.C. State admission. This is not true and is the most arrogant, pretentious and clueless point of his letter.

While they are not the bastion of the people as we are, they have highly respected architecture, engineering, agricultural, science and business programs. They have a high level of academic excellence and expectations, just as we do.

While you may think agricultural research or engineering programs are laughable and “redneck,” you should think about the research that made it possible for the Ebola to be cleaned out of your fast food “beef.” I myself was put on the waitlist at NCSU before I got my acceptance letter from my No. 1 choice, UNC.

So Mr. Joyner, next time consider these facts and do not write a letter epitomizing the snobby, pretentious stereotype of a UNC student, as that is not true either, and I do not appreciate you representing our University in such a fashion.

William Warren IV
Junior
Economics

Editor’s note: The length limit was waived for this letter.