Over the last couple of weeks, we have watched this campus and this country unite in generosity and compassion toward the survivors of the Haiti tragedy. As I watch, I cannot help but notice the awesome ability we as a people have to help. Unfortunately, it seems as though we need a catastrophic, well-publicized tragic event to spur us to action.

I fear that, as the tragedy in Haiti loses air time and the situation becomes less volatile, we will forget the power we possess.

We will fall back into a pattern of sympathizing but at the same time failing to act. Although the crisis in Haiti was a worthy cause, we must remember that there are charities in Chapel Hill, in the Triangle area, across North Carolina and across the United States that desperately need our help. There are so many opportunities on our campus, in our churches and in our community to give to those less fortunate than ourselves. Many of us have been blessed with so much, and we have the ability to continue to give and give regularly.

We have had and continue to have so much hope for Haiti, and I believe we can give hope to so many more.

Matt Love

Freshman

Communication Studies