‘Tag Day’ reminds students the importance of giving

How can you put a price tag on memories? You can’t. But you can put a price tag on things that define memories. What would an evening of Alvin Ailey be without Memorial Hall and $10 seats? How different would classes be without your favorite professor? What if you had never made the friends you did because they weren’t able to come to the University without scholarships?

There are many people, places and things at Carolina that aren’t thought about on a regular basis. Today, the Carolina Annual Fund and Heelraisers Council seek to make students aware of what they see every day. This day marks the symbolic point of time in the year when the University would run out of money if private gifts and endowment income were not available.

Price tags will hang in various areas around campus to remind students about the importance of giving and the opportunities they have been given by alumni, students and friends.

There are many intangibles that won’t be marked today, but should still be reflected upon. Private giving impacts every aspect of your four years on campus, supporting scholarships and professorships that allow some of our favorite and dearest peers and mentors to be Tar Heels.

In seeing what others have done for Carolina, I hope students continue the tradition of giving, leave a mark, and support students and professors of the present and future. Giving is easy; you can make a gift at giving.unc.edu/gift.

Lindsey Rava
Director of Student Giving
Office of University Development