UNC handled by Cavaliers, dealt 8th loss

Virginia’s defense stifled North Carolina throughout Sunday night’s 75-60 win against UNC. DTH/ Andrew Johnson

In 2008-09, North Carolina became known for the killer run — a spurt of unanswered scoring that put opposing teams away. This season UNC has proven more prone to be the killed than the killer.

Virginia’s death blow Sunday night was an 18-0 second-half run, one the Tar Heels ultimately couldn’t come back from, falling 75-60 and dropping further behind in the ACC.

“I’ve had some great moments, but this is not one of them,” UNC coach Roy Williams said. “I’ve got to find a better way to reach our kids. … I’ve gotten awfully dumb in the last six months.”

The second half opened looking good for North Carolina. Ed Davis opened with a dunk to bring the score to 35-32 and make it a one-possession game.

But the next six minutes would be all Cavaliers, as UVa. (13-6, 4-2 ACC) shut the door on the Tar Heels (13-8, 2-4), who never managed a meaningful rally.

“When things go wrong, they all go wrong,” Williams said. “Those things sort of mushroom on you.”

It wasn’t until seven minutes passed in the second half that UNC managed another point, and by then it was 53-33 Virginia.

UNC has been prone to giving up big runs this season. With a youthful backcourt, the Tar Heel offense often stagnates for long stretches, beset by turnovers or general ineffectiveness.

Sunday night, another culprit was missed free throws. UNC went 5-of-12 from the line in the first half and missed 11 of 22 for the game. At one point late in the first half, Davis missed four straight.

UNC will remain at the bottom of the ACC in turnover margin with 17 giveaways. Time and again, Tar Heel rallies stalled as balls slipped out of bounds and hands fumbled passes.

“Guys just need to care more,” senior Deon Thompson said. “Just need to care more about this Carolina, this jersey, this name that we wear on the front of our chest.”

On the defensive side, Virginia muscled UNC around with physical play and a constant motion offense. The motion offense of first-year UVa. coach Tony Bennett produced plenty of easy buckets, and the Cavaliers shot 52 percent for the game.

“This was probably the best we’ve moved the ball,” Bennett said. “We cut with purpose.”

UNC, on the other hand, struggled to get any traction offensively. The Tar Heels couldn’t get the ball into primary scorers Davis and Thompson, who scored four and seven points, respectively.

“We get it inside, and we had a difficult time scoring,” Williams said.

Instead, North Carolina launched 22 three-point shots, connecting on nine of them. Larry Drew II and Will Graves led UNC with 15 points apiece.

The loss pushes UNC even further behind in the ACC. With four conference losses already, the Tar Heels face an uphill battle just to finish .500 in the conference.

And with games at Virginia Tech, at ACC-leading Maryland, and against Duke, UNC’s road isn’t getting any easier.

Sunday’s loss leaves little room for error if the Tar Heels want to even make the NCAA tournament.

“We’re certainly not playing like (a tournament team),” senior Marcus Ginyard said.

Williams took the loss especially hard. He seemed close to tears in the post-game press conference.

“Ol’ Roy’s been very lucky my entire life, and things have been pretty smooth,” Williams said. “But now they’re not. I’ve got to do a better job with my team. … It’s not weariness, it’s ticked off.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.