Board of Trustees meets with UNC students to discuss service, safety

Trustee John Townsend, center, meets with  Jasmin Jones, left, and Dakota Williams.  DTH/Mary Lide Parker
Trustee John Townsend, center, meets with Jasmin Jones, left, and Dakota Williams. DTH/Mary Lide Parker

Three members of the Board of Trustees met with students Thursday afternoon to discuss issues concerning public service, safety, academics and leadership.

The meetings were part of a series arranged between the board and UNC students to foster communication.

Trustee John Townsend discussed public service with students, a field in which he has much experience.

While enrolled in the Kenan-Flagler Business School, Townsend said he helped develop the school’s Archie K. Davis lecture series.

Katherine Novinski, a religious studies major and the newly selected director of the Eve Marie Carson Memorial Scholarship, said public service was one of the things that attracted her to the University.

“UNC helps you find your talent and use it to give back,” Novinski said. “It’s one of the really cool things about Carolina.”

Students pointed out the benefits of the APPLES service learning classes and the Public Service Scholar program in making service a regular component of students’ college experiences.

Student Body Vice President David Bevevino said it is important to apply the systemic knowledge gained in the classroom to attack serious problems from multiple angles.

Following the public service portion of the meeting, trustee Barbara Hyde met with students to discuss academics and leadership, focusing on the interaction and balance between academics and extracurricular activities.

Student Body Secretary Jonathan Tugman vouched for including non-academic experiences into students’ college life.

“Carolina does a good job of connecting students with opportunities so they are aware and can take advantage of them if they choose,” he said.

Afterward, trustee Wade Hargrove led a discussion on safety.

Tugman said the participants discussed the Safe Walk program — which he said students have used about 15 times each night — along with the need for increased off-campus lighting.

“We talk about this every year and there is no good solution because lighting is expensive,” Tugman said.

Students also discussed HAVEN Part II, a campaign promise of Student Body President Jasmin Jones, which aims to prevent sexual assault by pairing women with male allies and encouraging bystander intervention.

Lastly, students and Hargrove discussed combatting the prevalence of drug and alcohol abuse on campus.

They talked about fostering a culture among students that doesn’t accept drug use. They said the Honor Court could possibly take the lead in organizing an initiative to lay the groundwork.