Careful what you post: Students should use discretion in using social media

Students have a chance to shine or flounder in today’s media-savvy world.

Social media plays a huge role in our day-to-day lives. Sit in the back of any lecture class and an array of Facebook, MySpace and Twitter pages can be seen on most students’ laptop screens.

We are addicted — but is this addiction something that could hurt us professionally?

Personal information is becoming more and more valuable to phishers — people who look online to find the right bank account or nugget hiding somewhere in the world of the Internet. And this could easily be your information.

Publicly posting phone numbers, addresses, or other personal information is an invitation to the world, because it doesn’t take a computer genius to find them.

But let’s be serious and think about the future.

Emily Strader from University Career Services said employers have dismissed students based on the information they found on Facebook.

It is extremely important that we realize that what we do today absolutely can affect tomorrow.

The pictures, conversations and information that you display online can be accessed by anyone with a bit of computer know-how, especially if your privacy settings aren’t set.

Strader said UCS is beginning to discuss whether students who upload their resumes on the Web should include their addresses, because information online is available to everyone.

Social media doesn’t always have to be a problem. For example, UCS heavily endorses LinkedIn, a professional social network where people can access resumes and personal information in a secure setting. And Twitter can be used judiciously to find job opportunities.

But the pitfalls of social media are great when it comes to trying to look professional online It’s never too late to begin projecting the image you want.