I am a graduate (class of 1994), and I was there when the men won the NCAA championship in 1993 and when the women won the NCAA championship in 1994. Both basketball teams brought great joy and pride during my time there, and certainly I have been a rabid fan for UNC ever since my days in Chapel Hill.

I would like to congratulate and encourage both coaches during what is a lean year for both programs. I would like to congratulate both of you for past success, and certainly I know a return to those times are around the corner. I would like to encourage both of you to continue to represent (as you both have to the best of my knowledge) our University in such an exemplary manner during the losses.

Nobody enjoys losing and certainly it hurts, but it goes without saying how important it is to be a gracious loser. We all remember when LeBron James raced off the court in Orlando last year when the Magic had eliminated his Cavaliers, as LeBron didn’t think that it was his place to congratulate the other side. One of the things that makes me proud is to see coach Roy Williams congratulate other coaches when we lose, because it appears so sincere.

To all, I specifically recall one thing a counselor in the career placement office at UNC told me in the spring of 1994 when I had come to the realization that law school would not be in my future (after the last rejection): “One of the most important things that you can learn from your college experience is how to deal with disappointment and failure.” I hated her for saying that at the time, but she was right.

As a result, to both men’s and women’s basketball teams (players, coaches, etc.): We have had success in recent years, and we will have it again. Please, continue to represent my University in a distinguished manner.

Eric Perdew
UNC ’94