Lefty pitchers help UNC baseball shut Princeton down

Bernard, Orlan allow zero runs

Freshman Zach Bernard has only allowed one hit in six appearances this season. DTH/Phong Dinh

North Carolina’s pair of freshmen left-handed relievers left Wednesday’s 12-5 win against Princeton just as they had entered it — with matching flawless records.

Zach Bernard and R.C. Orlan combined for 2 2/3 innings of shutout ball, and have hurled 11 1/3 scoreless innings between them this season.

“I think they’re great,” catcher Jesse Wierzbicki said. “Knowing somebody that can come out of the pen and throw strikes and not put guys on the bases is a huge help to our team.”

Bernard was the first to enter the game, replacing reliever Bryant Gaines in the fifth inning with one out and runners on first and third and the Tar Heels leading 9-5. Bernard preserved the UNC lead, retiring five batters before issuing a walk and giving way to Cody Stiles in the seventh.

“I need to throw more first-pitch strikes, but it felt good,” he said. “Everything felt good.”

For Bernard, the fast start at UNC has been a dream come true. He said playing in Chapel Hill is something he’s always wanted to do after being coached by former Tar Heel Devy Bell at Durham’s Jordan High School.

“As a kid growing up around North Carolina, you always see them on TV and stuff and you really want to go there,” he said. “It’s one of the best programs in the country and definitely the state.”

Orlan came in to shut the door in the top of the ninth inning and struck out two of the three batters he faced. After putting out the side, Orlan has now retired 15 of the 18 batters he’s faced.

“He threw well,” Bernard said of Orlan’s performance. “He was mowing ’em down.”

Though the two will compete for time on the mound, Bernard says they are friends in practice, where the two are throwing partners, and off the field, where they plan on rooming together next year.

“We help each other get better,” he said. “We push each other.”

So far, both Orlan and Bernard have been used in the mop-up role, coming into games after their outcome has already been decided. Although they have pitched well in the early going, coach Mike Fox says that their dominant hand will not cause him to insert them into higher-profile situations.

“We’re gonna put the best guys out there, whether they’re right- or left-handed,” he said.

For now though, Bernard says he’s happy in his current role and taking it one pitch at a time.

“Right now I’m just doing the best I can when they tell me to go out there,” he said. “I’m just trying to help the team win.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.