Modern dance has a home at UNC

Modernextension troupe members appear in a past performance. Courtesy of Jessie Barber

Modern dance cannot easily be defined. It both attempts to rebel against other styles while borrowing movements from them.

There is no singular style or movement to characterize a dance as modern. It is instead based on the choreographer’s interpretation of a concept, issue or other inspirational theme.

“With modern dance, there are less rules. You will not know what to expect from a performance, and they are all really different,” said Jessie Barber, a member of the UNC group Modernextension.

The purpose of modern dance is to express a certain point or thought, and performances are centered on these ideas.

It often draws from different dance forms such as lyrical, jazz or ballet.

Modern dance was not born until the 20th century. It stemmed from a rebellion against the strict practices of ballet.

In many other dance forms, techniques and specific moves reign supreme, but modern dance uses an abstract approach in teaching and performance.

Despite the variety of styles, there are some common characteristics of modern dance. Dancers often perform barefoot and prefer flexed feet to pointed toes.

“Modern dance incorporates a lot of floor work, unlike ballet, which instead focuses on staying erect and en pointe,” said Michelle McGowan, a member of Blank Canvas, a dance group on campus.

Modern dance emphasizes movement and space, in addition to the concept of the gravity of one’s own body.

It is similar to acting, as dancers perform the concept through their movements. Because modern dance expresses a personal opinion or ideology, it often allows for more creativity.

At UNC there are a number of dance groups that practice modern dance, but only two that focus solely on modern dance—Inversions and Modernextension. They are smaller than other groups, with between 10 and 20 members each.

“The great thing about these groups is that the members come from different backgrounds, so the choreography reflects many different styles mixed together,” Barber said.

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.