Although the application deadline for summer and fall 2010 study abroad programs has passed, as class registration approaches, I want to encourage all students to consider study abroad and to plan their courses accordingly.

As a self-proclaimed study abroad addict, it saddens me to hear my first-year and sophomore friends say that they cannot fit a study abroad experience into their undergraduate career due to difficulty meeting major and general education requirements.

Among the literally hundreds of study abroad programs available to UNC students, many programs from Buenos Aires to Paris to Hong Kong and Singapore allow students (even science majors) to fulfill major requirements.

Also, I encourage students not to lose hope due to the rather daunting price tag of some study abroad programs. Many programs (especially exchange programs) are comparable in cost, if not cheaper than an equivalent length of study in Chapel Hill.

And there are many sources of funding to help defray the costs of studying abroad, especially for less common study abroad destinations such as Asia. The Phillips Ambassadors scholarship allowed me to spend my sophomore year in China.

Many students consider studying abroad one of their most rewarding experiences in college.

Study abroad is accessible to virtually all students, regardless of major or financial situation. All that is necessary is some advanced planning.

Meet with study abroad and academic advisers to ensure that your planning leaves time for study abroad, and visit the study abroad Web site to explore programs and funding opportunities.

Ramsey Cardwell
Senior
Psychology, Linguistics