In response to Mr. De La Rosa’s letter to the editor, “Proposed election system shouldn’t replace runoffs” (March 5), I must say that I, along with a great number of the student body, disagree.

Some of the reasons listed off in opposition to the new voting system were issues like confusion, electronic irregularities, as well as a few others. When I look at these reasons as an argument against an innovative new system, I honestly find myself wondering why these are arguments at all.

Perhaps the system will at first be confusing, but let us take that moment as an opportunity to educate and inform the students on how the new system can work best for them long before the first real ballot is cast.

Perhaps the system will have electronic irregularities. If this is the case, let those involved in the process make the greatest effort in order to make this system perfect for our students.

Let’s show students that we inside of student government actually can do something to make their lives a little bit easier.

There are times when innovation is needed, and I, along with countless other students, see that time as now. Students have spoken; they want a system that saves them money and makes the voting process as smooth and efficient as possible.

It’s time to start listening to the students. When we are unhappy with something, we change it. Perpetuating the status quo in fear of something new is not acceptable at Carolina.

Rick Ingram
Sophomore
Executive branch