Dear Chancellor Thorp: I know you are fully committed to ensuring that free speech is protected at our University. You have shown this commitment through the formal notice e-mail you delivered on April 15, 2009, titled “Message from the Chancellor: Free Speech at Carolina” and also through your stated telephone apology to former U.S. Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colo., last year.

That is why I wanted to let you know that the campus police and people representing the UNC law school violated my free speech last Thursday during the Q-and-A session of the Larry Flynt event at our University.

For context, please read the Daily Tar Heel letter to the editor I wrote, “Flynt event didn’t embrace the marketplace of ideas,” (Feb. 23).

I know that you respect and value all voices on our campus. And since you take these free speech matters seriously, I know that you will respond to this situation. I am looking forward to your apology to me on behalf of the law school’s moderators and your campus police officer.

I am also looking forward to the formal notice e-mail that you will be sending to the campus community, notifying everyone of your disappointment in the people who violated my free speech.

Thank you in advance for defending everyone’s right to free speech equally.

Anthony Maglione
UNC ’09