Last night, six seniors played their final home games as members of the men’s basketball team. The pre- and post-game ceremonies were classy and emotional. The team showed passion and grit, bringing the seniors a much-deserved winning send-off and the program its historic 2,000th victory. Yet many students silently mocked the entire affair.

I don’t know what combination of apathy, disappointment, faux outrage over ticket distribution policy or other factors is responsible. And in the end it doesn’t matter. The student body’s failure to fill those seats — on this night or any other — is inexcusable. This team and these seniors — your friends and classmates — deserved better.

The University has long been criticized — and justly in some respects — for a Smith Center seating plan that was not conducive to a rowdy, student-led feel. In recent years, significant changes have been made — changes that required compromise and understanding from many quarters. The students’ end of the bargain was to take these opportunities and deliver. You didn’t.

I suspect that next time there is any griping from students about seating arrangements, some one will put up a photo of last night’s empty student sections and laugh you right out of the office.

Jay Campbell
Adjunct Assistant Professor
School of Pharmacy