This is a response to two letters submitted about lack of Student Congress funding for student groups and the appeals process.

With more than 600 student organizations and only $365,000 to be distributed by Student Congress, there is no way that groups can depend heavily on this type of financial support from the University. There are many other ways to raise funds that student organization leaders may not be aware of.

Many student groups plan special event fundraisers, use on-campus facilities and resources, seek grants/outside funding and find work opportunities through events like basketball ushering. There are clubs on campus dedicated solely to helping other student groups grow and raise funds.

I help run a group called Connected for Cause. We are dedicated to creating fundraising opportunities, providing educational events on funding resources and consulting with fellow causes about their fundraising plans.

We have seen some student organizations lose money on a fundraiser. Often there is an increase of member apathy within a group that does not have enough funding to achieve its mission.

Fundraising is essential in not only being able to accomplish organizational goals, but building a following.

There have been many improvements on campus that have occurred this year. Online reservations can now be made by groups competing for space for large fundraising events.

Heels Help allows service groups to post events, find volunteers and connect with others for help. The group Micro-Consulting for North Carolina helps with skills such as getting grants, developing a Web site and other business skills. Things are improving!

If your organization needs help, reach out to fellow organization leaders and outside resources. Connected for Cause will be hosting seminars during the month of April on event planning, building a fundraising plan and organizational growth with professional speakers from each of these fields. More information will be available on our Web site closer to the event.

Kelly E. Leonhardt

Co-Founder

Connected for Cause