Throughout this past year, student government has been working with the Department of Public Safety to bring a new ride-sharing program to UNC.

We’ve received positive feedback on an easy-to-use and well-acclaimed software program from numerous student, staff and parent organizations (including RHA, the Carolina Parents Council, OSSA and GPSF) over the past few months, and after all is said and done, the program just arrived last week. A link to the program can be found at zimride.unc.edu.

With the long weekend coming up, please consider logging into the program (easily and simply — all you need is your Onyen) to see how it can help you more easily find carpools or help out others seeking one-time or repeat rides back to their homes, the airport, work, conferences, neighboring universities and more.

Of course, the more people who register on the site and actively use it, the easier it will be to find and give rides.

The Department of Public Safety and student government are thrilled about the potential for this program to help students, staff and faculty get around and carpool more easily as we also help reduce UNC’s transportation-related environmental footprint and vehicle maintenance costs.

Please consider signing up, playing around with the program and spreading the word to your friends, student organizations, colleagues and professors to use.

Lastly, Zimride is also looking for a team of UNC students to advise and provide feedback on the program during its implementation at UNC. Please e-mail zimride@unc.edu (subject line: Zimride Advisory Committee) if you’re interested.

Elinor Benami
Senior
Economics