Tarheels pitchers lead softball team to victory

The North Carolina pitching staff continued its dominance this weekend, recording two no-hitters and allowing only one run as the Tar Heels cruised to a championship game victory in the Tar Heel Invitational.

The No. 23 Tar Heels (10-3) faced James Madison University in the championship game, a team they had already beaten 8-0 on Friday afternoon behind Danielle Spaulding’s third no-hitter of the season.

“They’re spoiling us, throwing all these no-hitters,” UNC coach Donna Papa said.

On Sunday, Spaulding took the mound versus the Dukes for the second time in three days, attempting to replicate her brilliant performance from Friday’s matchup.

Although she wasn’t able to shut them out, she pitched a strong seven innings with 10 strikeouts — allowing only one run on three hits.

One of those hits was a solo home run to center field in the fifth inning. That marked the first run scored on Spaulding in her last five outings, which spans 28 innings.

UNC’s pitching was dominant throughout the tournament, as Spaulding and fellow senior Amber Johnson each tossed a no-hitter and held UNC’s opponents to only five hits.

“We have two who can keep the other team down, in terms of limiting run production,” Papa said.

Johnson (5-2) shined in her two starts over the weekend, with complete-game shutout wins in each.

Her second start of the weekend was particularly special, as she no-hit Pittsburgh on Saturday in seven innings with 10 strikeouts. It was the second no-hitter of Johnson’s career.

“This weekend was a good ego boost,” Johnson said. “I think it’s been a long time coming. I’m ready to go.”

She held Fairfield to two hits in a 2-0 win for the Tar Heels on Friday.

Spaulding (5-1) was equally impressive. In addition to her no-hitter, she smacked a two-run homer in her first match up against the Dukes.

She followed that up by pitching the Tar Heels to victory in the championship game on her way to being named the tournament’s Most Outstanding Player.

“I really just try to stay focused, every pitch, every inning, and I think it’s really just a result of me working hard,” Spaulding said.

When the Dukes got a hit off Spaulding in the fourth inning on Sunday, it was the first hit she had given up in 14 2/3 innings during a three-game span.

Sunday’s start also gave her five straight games with at least 10 strikeouts.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.