In 30 seconds I can tie my shoe, sing Yankee Doodle or cross the intersection on Manning Drive. I cannot, however, explain to Student Congress why my organization should receive more funding than what was allocated by the finance committee. For Student Congress to allow organizations such a short period of time to present their appeals is unrealistic and patronizing.

I am fully aware that the members of Student Congress do not have an unlimited amount of time to hear appeals. But with only five organizations making appeals, they could have spared enough time to give each group more than 30 seconds. This was the final straw in the appeals process, which began with an e-mail from the speaker of Congress stating that if my group appeals and receives more funding, it “will directly harm another group on campus.”

I chose to drop my appeal, not because we no longer need the funding, but because I feel Student Congress has abused its power by not allowing me a legitimate appeal. Nothing meaningful could possibly said in the amount of time I’ve been allotted. So I hope that Student Congress used my empty 30-second time slot to take a bathroom break. Oh wait, that’s not enough time.

Courtney Roller
Editor-in-chief
Rival Magazine