We all know Roy Williams and international catastrophes should never be part of the same news story. But even if we generously allow that Roy quotes need a lot of context, Roy could take a lesson from some of his underclassmen on tone.

Last year, Roy came back to a town that acted like his second championship for us was our birthright. Our fans evaporated from the stands at the first signs of trouble. Roy also started the season with a tough blow to his health.

There’s a lot of reasons he could be feeling down about things, and it’s honestly pretty inhumane that anyone’s emotions should be on display to the public like his have to be. The Daily Tar Heel has had a feeding frenzy of sensationalistic sports writing.

So, Roy, this is coming from a place of deep respect, but I can’t imagine how hard it must be to play with your quotes in the DTH. There are still a lot of fans who want to see y’all kill it in the NIT. Please stop talking about how disappointing this year has been before we’re even done playing ball.

Nobody has to tell Larry Drew II that he is misfiring. That’s why it’s encouraging to hear him say he wants to keep playing to get better. Tyler Zeller — who had obviously been feeding off of Georgia Tech’s Derrick Favors’ energy — explained his motivation strategy pretty clearly. This is the correct tone for a deep tournament run.

I know the next loss will be our last, but buck up, Roy. Let’s act like we still have some games to win.

Mike Nutt

Graduate Student

School of Information and Library Science